Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Thirty-two!

I keep waiting for the year when I will dislike turning another year older...but it hasn't arrived yet! I have always been a fan of birthdays, especially my own. It feels funny for me to say that out loud because I worry it sounds egotistical, but I honestly just enjoy having a day in which to look back and go, "Wow! I made it!"

It's not about the gifts. I enjoy and appreciate gifts, but I'll be just as happy with a hug or some time for a cup of coffee together.

It is about the party. My family and friends have always thrown me wonderful parties. I am not an attention-seeker by nature; in fact I would say I'm more of an attention-repeller. But, I do enjoy having one day a year where I get to enjoy the loving words of the people I love. It fills me right up.

It is about the food. I always get to pick my birthday dinner, and that is always fun. This year? Homemade pizza, stout beer and pumpkin pie. Yes, it is a perfect, wonderful, fall-celebratory meal. I can't wait until I get to eat it.

It is about being thankful. It is about celebrating the milestones of the last year.
* My nephew was born!
* I spent my first Christmas with my second family!
* My boyfriend got a job as a photojournalist!
* I got a new job as a reporter at the local newspaper!
* I moved into a new apartment! It is much safer and quieter!
* God helped me through a few scary months of undergoing tests for breast cancer after I found a couple lumps. Praise God! Negatory!
* I camped and hiked a lot!
* I went to the Tetons with the love of my life!
* I GOT ENGAGED! I will never tire of saying that!
* My fiance opened a gallery show of his photographs!
* I started planning a wedding!

It's crazy to think that THIS is the year I will get married. I am so thankful. I know marriage is not the end all, be all of happiness (that must be found in a relationship with Christ), but I think it's going to be pretty stinkin' amazing.

Anyway, I am late for work and best be off. Thanks for listening!

~Hannah reporting in...

No comments: