Friday, March 7, 2014

A snow storm, a Friday night deadline and a shower

Last week, I had the adventure of traveling across the state to Wyoming's capital to cover the State Legislature. I carried a briefcase, wore a business suit and rubbed shoulders with senators and representatives and the governor.

And I had a press pass. Nothing like an official red badge pinned to your lapel announcing your profession to make you stand a little taller and hold your reporter's notebook a little straighter.

It was all good fun. And very educational. And crazy fascinating. Honestly, the legislative process is worth checking out if you have the opportunity.

But that's not really what this post is about. This post is about feeling all warm and fuzzy as the recipient of hospitality and showers of love from dear friends.

I was supposed to stay in Cheyenne through Saturday morning, but word of a wintry blast of a snow storm promising impending doom, or at least really nasty roads, made me decide to scurry out as soon as my last interview was done Friday afternoon.

I hit the road, and the road was good. On my way, I called an older couple I knew from church in a small town along the way where I was scheduled to have a bridal shower Saturday and asked if I could crash at their place that night. Wayne and Marge gladly obliged.

I showed up at 4:30 p.m., said a quick hello and then promptly asked for their wireless password, a table and a couple hours in which to pound out my story for that night, due at 6 p.m. They did not once make me feel bad for not completing the nicety of socializing when arriving as a house guest. In fact, they quietly walked by and cheered me on in my pursuit of making deadline.

I filed my story before 6 (Woot!), and then Marge served a delicious dinner of lasagna with ice cream for dessert. I made one last phone call for work then joined Wayne and Marge to watch my first episode of "Downton Abbey" before turning in for the night in a cozy guest room that would beat a hotel any night.

The next morning, there was a "no unnecessary travel" warning for the road I'd just come up the night before. Ice, snow, blowing snow, limited visibility. Whew!

Marge cooked me eggs, and we chatted over the morning paper. Come mid-morning, Wayne, who is in his 80s, said he would prefer to drive me to the church for my bridal shower than have me drive myself. He shoveled the walk, brushed off his truck and came to get me. He helped me into my coat and drove me the four blocks to the church, dropping me off right at the door.

When we pulled into the parking lot, several men from church were out snowblowing the lot so that lines could be seen and feet could be dry for all the ladies descending on the church for my shower.

Gosh, it was refreshing to be the recipient of such chivalry! Yay for gentlemen!

The bridal shower was so, so perfect! Two of my best friends, Sarah and Becky, decorated to the nines, made yummy soup, rolls and brownies and made me feel so very special. A dozen "church ladies" who I hold very dear even though I've been away for years showed up and, well, showered me.

They showered me with gifts, and stories, and laughter, and love. And while I don't usually like to be the center of attention, I soaked it up that cold, snowy day. There was something about receiving their support and encouragement that made me feel more ready for my wedding and my marriage than I'd felt before.

Thank you to Sarah and Becky (the kind of friends who make you feel happy and safe and like no time at all has passed since last you met), Marge (practical and young beyond her years), Jane (calm and warm), Jan (giving and encouraging), Joni (energetic and delightfully rebellious), Dani (wise beyond her years), Jerri (the kind of woman who makes you want to become a better version of yourself), Susan (gentle and inviting), Abby (strong and fun), Joyce (respectable and wise), Lori (spirited and life-giving), Liz (witty and patient and maker of amazing kiddos), and Liz (big-hearted and the most valuable mentor a girl could find) for making me feel so special. I am very lucky to have so many lovely women by my side as I enter this adventure called marriage!

That night, for dinner, I enjoyed an incredible conversation with Wayne and Marge. It was so wonderful to hear their stories. We should all ASK to know the older people in our lives because they so often do the asking and the caring about us and our stories.

I hope beyond hope to introduce my fiance to this wonderful couple some day (at the wedding, at least!) because I want to be like them. I want us to be like them: hospitable, smart, feisty, funny, full of life and love and compassion for others.

Sunday, I woke up and the roads were clear so I drove home (after a quick cup of coffee with Sarah). It was one of the longest times Justin and I had been apart since we started dating, and, oh, it felt so good to wrap up in his arms and his smile!

Being loved is wonderful! And I don't even care how cheesy that last line sounded. It is! And I hope I give my love away as freely as it was given to me last week in a snow storm, under a Friday night deadline and at a shower for me, the soon-to-be bride.

2 comments:

The Sassy Wallflower said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Sassy Wallflower said...

Feeling loved is never cheesy! I'm so glad that you had your socks blessed off! ;)